I can’t blame you for being you. I can’t switch the experiences that have shaped you or the lifestyle you’ve lived, nor do I want to. But hey, life’s problems wouldn’t be called “hurdles” if there wasn’t a way to get over them.
Designation vs. Destination: We like to collect labels like scars and gold stars to decorate and define the deliberately drawn lines of our existence and sometimes people mistake names for explanations — forgetting that defining ourselves, limits ourselves and our misfortunes don’t determine who we are, why we are, how we are or who we’ll be.
What we have done, and who we are does not count for much — what matters instead is what we are about to do, what we want to do.
Why do we try to define people as simply good or simply evil? Because no one wants to admit that compassion and cruelty can live side by side in one heart and that anyone is capable of anything. It all comes down to our choices.
We are imperfect people with perfectly perfect intentions, living in a time of vices and sacrifices. There’s who we really are, who we like others to see & who we want to be. Disagreements between them are what will hold back our true self. If we truly knew our brilliance and our potential, fear wouldn’t consume us.
Fear is the assumption of something negative and assumptions are a form of theft.
We steal from ourselves every time we let fear dictate the direction of our dreams, our relationships, and the amount of effort we are willing to put into making both something we will be proud to stand tall next to.
The Real Social Network
Life is interrelated and somehow we are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one person directly affects everyone indirectly. For some reason, I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be.
Things to guide us to who we ought to be:
- The key variables in making your day a masterpiece: discipline and decisions.
- Foundations: Entertaining excuse after excuse, produces foundations with screws a twist too loose.
- Stay Flux: Bend your words to satisfy different ears. Bend your words, but be cautious they don’t break.
- < 3, Strings sold separately: The partner you choose in this life can never repair you. Don’t attract just a companion, attract a collaborator. Someone to walk with you, not guide the way. At times, the dreamers need the realists so that they don’t fly too close to the Sun. And other times, the realists need the dreamers to recognize the vision in their reality.
- Don’t curse the shackle when you hold the key. Why waste time wondering if you made the right decision in the past? You can’t change it. You can only learn and make better choices today.
- Don’t convince yourself. Believe in yourself. There’s a difference.
- Unwritten: The ending always rewrites the significance of the beginning.
- I’m different, yeah, I’m different: Before you throw your hand to your heart and drop your jaw to the floor at something you take so personally offensive; think objectively. People’s personal opinions and interpretations of things aren’t offensive. People’s imaginations and views aren’t offensive. Instead of shock and horror, try to find beauty in diversity. Learn to open up your mind and be comfortable enough to enjoy the differences.
- Being alone never felt right. Sometimes it felt good. But it never felt right: As much as we wish it weren’t true, the fact is people need people.
Luckily, in the real world symmetry doesn’t have to look the same, it just has to even out.