With a 2018 finally upon us most of us are making New Year’s resolutions. We feel charged up–ready to conquer anything that the year throws our way. But without a proper mindset we often fall into the trap of a new-year-I-tried-to-be-a-new-me kind of experience. With that being said I’m here to offer some advice. Anytime I’ve worked on self-improvement I’ve always done so alongside a good read. Books helped guide me. And though there’s such a social stigma behind self-help books, I can promise you that if you want this next year to be everything you want it to be then you need the fuel to get there. Self-help books will increase your ability to do so–impacting your mindset in such a way that you can’t help but make this your year.
In no particular order here are five books to start off 2018:
1. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Presence is important. Did you know that time is actually a man make concept? The only moment that exists is the now. In fact, when we’re living in the past we’re often depressed and when we’re living in the future we’re anxious. This book drastically helped improve my anxiety.
2. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
- This book was a game changer. It talks a lot about resistance–saying no to the universe. If you’ve lived your life based on fear, this book might be for you. Fear doesn’t have to be apart of our identity. This book helped me understand this.
3. What To Say When You Talk To Yourself by Shad Helmstetter
- This was the first self-help book I read from start to finish. If you’re ever mean to yourself like I was then this book is for you. What we say and think about ourselves is important. When we’re self-deprecating and harsh to ourselves we often create a reality that only produces more of these experiences.
4. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
- This book really helps with some self-defeating behaviors. It’s main purpose is to help you stop doubting yourself–something we all as people deserve to do. It’s an easy read and your self-worth will thank you.
5. The Dark Dictionary by yours truly, Andrew Kendall
- My life is nothing compared to what it used to be. I used to be terrified to go after my dreams. I lived in darkness. My life felt like it was weirdly suffocating the very life out of me… until 2015. I had a panic attack that sent me the message that I couldn’t live my life that way anymore. So on my journey of self-development and change I documented it in the form of a book and then published it in hope that it might instill a new found hope and inspiration in those that read it. It is a guide to help eradicate the darkness most of us face and you have the ability learn from my life in hopes that it restores your own light. It redefined my life and I know that it can do the same for you. So if you’re ready to change your life like I was, then this is the perfect book to start with. You can snag a copy here via amazon.
May your 2018 be everything you need it to be.